Here is a small activity to understand a difference between skimming and scanning. This is a group activity but you can also do it alone. Below is the factsheet and then an activity to skim and scan a webpage. The factsheet:
- introduces the idea that you don’t need to read every word in a piece of text to know what it’s about and extract key points.
- look for clues such as: pictures, headings, bullet points, numbered lists, use of bold text, underlining, colour coding.
An activity involving reading text on a website and answering questions on it.
- mark parts of the webpage you noticed first.
- note how easily you found the information to answer the questions.
- you can visit other websites you would like to look at and repeat the exercise.