Today’s post is all about IELTS academic module “matching headings”. This is a classroom activity taken from http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/teaching-english/ but you can do it alone as well. It will raise awareness of the skills needed
- to answer matching headings activity including identifying topic sentences,
- understanding the main idea and
- choosing the most appropriate heading.
Now let us start our exercise. First answer the activity questions then begin your task.
- skim your paragraph,
- locating the topic sentence and
- then decide what the main idea is.
- go back to the text and check each answer.
- if your answer is wrong then correct it.
- it is advisable to skim read each paragraph and
- then read the headings to find a suitable one.
- if you start with the headings then scan for the key words in them
- you will be finding specific information rather than the main idea.
Sample Task page 1